Tuesday, January 24, 2012

24-01-2012

Unashamedly based on several of Da Vinci's sketches.
This was a pretty fast but very soothing and relaxing one to work on.
Enjoy the poem, I shared a few lines for it yesterday on Capturing Moments, and was inspired to do this today, because of my love for it.




Mother, oh Mother, come shake out your cloth,
Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
Hang out the washing and butter the bread,
Sew on a button and make up a bed.
Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She’s up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.

Oh, I’ve grown shiftless as Little Boy Blue
(Lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
(Pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo).
The shopping’s not done and there’s nothing for stew
And out in the yard there’s a hullabaloo
But I’m playing Kanga and this is my Roo.
Look! Aren’t her eyes the most wonderful hue?
(Lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).

The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow,
For children grow up, as I’ve learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
I’m rocking my baby and babies don’t keep.

-Ruth Hulbert Hamilton, Song For A Fifth Child.

16 comments:

  1. This is a gorgeous drawing.

    My favourite so far!!

    x jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am definitely getting back into a rhythm.

      Delete
  2. Oh my, beautiful drawing and beautiful poem. I'm going to make that last paragraph into a poster and put it up for visitors to see at my house :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have it on good authority that this has graced the wall of many a nursery in cross stitch.
      I love those last lines, they're gorgeous!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. Breathtaking. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The subject matter is one I don't think I'll ever tire of depicting.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you. It was a beautiful piece to work on. And the poem sets it of well I think. :)

      Delete
  5. Definitely my favourite so far too! And the poem is just lovely - I love the Australian theme, and it is so important to stop and savour the moment- she's right - babies don't keep :) Got to give my little 'roo' a cuddle right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwww! I had lovely cuddles with mine as she crashed out earlier, it really is gorgeous!

      I was actually kind of surprised by the Kanga and Roo line, as this poem was first published in The Ladies' Home Journal magazine (October 1958), and it is an American publication.

      My two guesses are:
      1) She is actually Australian but had a subscription.
      2) Perhaps a reference to Kanga from Winnie The Pooh (this is also possible, as it the first Winnie the Pooh collection was published in 1926).

      Delete
  6. I thought I had commented on this yesterday...

    Anyhoo- beautiful sketch and the poem made me feel a bit mushy inside. Sniff*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That poem really is a bit special I think. :)
      And thank you. I look at this one and see what went wrong, I need to remind myself to focus on what went right!

      Delete
  7. Truly beautiful :)
    The poem really strikes a chord with me to0. The last line in particular. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so true, isn't it? Babies don't keep.
      When I have my next child, I hope I am more in the moment than I was with my daughter. I spent so much time worrying, and waiting on milestones. Next time I just want to enjoy having a little one, as they are little for such a small time!

      Delete