Monday, February 20, 2012

20-02-2012

Today I was nostalgic for all the time I got to spend on my art when I was a teen.
I would do a life drawing class every week for several hours, and the progress I made was phenominal.
My sense of perspective and the speed with which I could sketch detail came light years from what it was when I first nervously walked into that intimidating studio.
17 years old, and the youngset in the class by well over a decade, I was scared senseless of making mistakes, or being sent away because I wasn't good enough.

Those weeks were so important for me, and I will always be grateful for them.
But oh how I miss that time, and the freedom I discovered when I was given the chance to do something I had never even dreamed of when I was sketching on my bunk bed and blu-tacing my drawings to my walls.

I had intended this to be a five minute sketch like we practiced way back when (drawing a nude in 30 seconds? Hilarious! 20- 30 minutes was what we would finish up with at the end of the night), but tonight, much like it would back then, the five minutes stretched into 15. It flies when you're having fun you know.
As I sadly did not have a life model tonight, a photo had to do (very much not the same thing! lol) it is 'Nude' by Edward Weston (1936).


4 comments:

  1. Wow! Thats brilliant! I am one person who simply cannot draw so this to me is fabulous! Great work :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It was a lovely relaxing one to work on. :)

      Delete
  2. you are amazing, i cant believe you are doing this everyday. You blow me away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      Some days it really is touch and go as to whether or not I'll get anything done...
      And some days it's a pleasure. But both are worth it. :)

      Delete